“Welcome to Psychedelicatessen, a weekly column exploring the world of cannabis cuisine, including recipes from the great chefs and ganjapreneurs who fuel our appetite for adventure.”
Surprise your stoner sweetheart with this medicated fudge that packs a hot chili flavor and sensual dose of cannabis designed to elevate your evening of romance.
Sweet Mary Jane uses a cannabis-infused sugar they’ve dubbed “Hey Sugar!,” which you can find the recipe for below, or you can use regular sugar for this recipe and substitute two tablespoons of cannabutter.
In her new cookbook, Sweet Mary Jane founder Karin Lazarus writes: “This chocolate-butterscotch fudge spiced with chile will appeal to anyone who likes a little heat with her sugar. Grace Gutierrez, head baker at Sweet Mary Jane, developed the recipe when we wanted to spice up the menu. It was a hit from the get-go. Heat, stir, blend, chill, and let the fiesta begin.”
Mexican Spiced Fudge
Makes 81 pieces.
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup Hey Sugar! (see below)
1 (12-ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
1 (12-ounce) bag butterscotch chips
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or cannabutter)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Grease a 9 x 9-inch pan with vegetable shortening.
2. Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Set a medium heat-proof bowl over the simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Place the condensed milk, Hey Sugar!, milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and cannabutter in the bowl and heat until the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
3. Remove from the heat. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, ancho chile powder and walnuts (if using) to the warm chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until set, approximately 1 to 1½ hours. Cut into 81 equal size squares.
5. Store in an airtight container lined with waxed paper. Separate each layer of fudge with additional layers of waxed paper. Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reprinted by permission of Penguin Random House from Sweet Mary Jane by Karin Lazarus
At Sweet Mary Jane, for the first few years, we infused all our baked goods with Buddha Budda or Coconut Bliss. But, eventually, I wanted…